The Highland Echo

April’s Trip back in Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

April’s Trip back in Time

The crew of the Apollo 13 mission.

Tara Meany, Academic Life Editor

• Birthstone – Diamond
  • Flower – Daisy or Sweet Pea
  • April – Autism awareness month
  • April – National frog month
  • April 2, 1982 – Famous fairy tale author Hans Christian Andersen (1805 – 1875) was born in Odense, Denmark.
  • April 3 – The first iPad is sold in 2010, sparking interest around the nation as the device featured a music player, a multi-touch screen, virtual keyboard, wireless internet, and the ability to capture both photos and video.
  • April 4, 1968 – American social reformer Dorothea Dix (1802 – 1887) was born in Hampden, Maine. As a teenager, she founded a home for girls in Boston and later fought for more humane conditions in jails and insane asylums.
  • April 6, 1896 – After a break of 1,500 years, the first Olympics of the modern era were held in Athens, Greece. These games brought together 14 nations with 241 athletes to compete in 43 events.
  • April 9, 1865 – After over 500,000 American deaths, the Civil War ended as General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant in Appomattox Court House.
  • April 11, 1970 – Apollo 13 was launched from Cape Kennedy, expecting to land on the moon several days later. Fifty-six hours into the flight, an oxygen tank exploded in the service module. Astronaut John L. Swigert said the now famous (although often misquoted) line, “Houston, we’ve had a problem here.” Swigert, James A. Lovell and Fred W. Haise then began a dangerous trip back to Earth, returning safely home on April 17th.
  • April 15, 1912 – In the waters off Newfoundland, the “unsinkable” luxury liner Titanic sank at 2:27 a.m. during its maiden voyage to New York after colliding with an iceberg shortly before midnight. Only 700 people were rescued by the Carpathia, while 1,500 people lost their lives.
  • April 15 2013 – During the Boston Marathon 2013, a two pressure cooker bombs went off near the finish line, killing three people and injuring 264 others.
  • April 18, 1906 – The San Francisco Earthquake struck at 5:13 a.m., followed by a massive fire from overturned wood stoves and broken gas pipes, resulting in the deaths of 4,000 individuals and the destruction of 10,000 acres of property.
  • April 22 – Jelly bean day
  • April 23rd 1564 – William Shakespeare (1564 -1616) was born at Stratford-on-Avon, England. Considered as the most influential writer in the English language, he wrote 36 plays and 154 sonnets, including Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and The Merchant of Venice.
  • April 23 – Pig in a blanket day
  • April 26, 1986 – At the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, a meltdown of the nuclear fuel and spread a radioactive cloud into the atmosphere, covering most of Europe. The plant was encased in a solid concrete tomb to prevent the release of any further radiation.
Tara Meany, Academic Life Editor

As every athlete knows, playing competitive sports in high school comes with a risk. Here in West Milford High School, almost every student has, at some...

• Happy Holidays

Embracing the reason for the season

• April’s Trip back in Time

Top Stories

Highlander hockey starts slow

• April’s Trip back in Time

Top Stories

Students honor fallen veterans

• April’s Trip back in Time

Top Stories

Hanukkah brings traditional fun

• April’s Trip back in Time

Top Stories

Don’t WRECK the Holidays.

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• April’s Trip back in Time

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• April’s Trip back in Time

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• April’s Trip back in Time

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

The student news site of West Milford Township High School
April’s Trip back in Time