The Highland Echo

“The Bachelor”… reality or reality television?

Above: Bachelor Arie Luyendyk Jr. handing a rose to Krystal. 
Photo Courtesy: hollywoodlife.comarie-rose-ceremony

Above: Bachelor Arie Luyendyk Jr. handing a rose to Krystal. Photo Courtesy: hollywoodlife.comarie-rose-ceremony

Sara Kandis, News Editor

Could starring in a reality show lead to true love, or is it all just a hoax? “The Bachelor” is a reality television show that has an eligible single man looking to find love and bend down on one knee to propose to one of the lucky ladies who entered the show. Before the ending of each episode, there is a rose ceremony where the bachelor gives roses to those with whom he can perhaps see a future. Those who do not receive a rose are sent home.

What spices up the show are the contestant’s backstories and the interactions between these women, which often lead to seriously entertaining drama. Whether there is a single mother or a wealthy attorney with a deep secret, there is always something that has the viewers rooting for a certain lady. Every season has some rumor or crazy commotion that keeps everyone on her toes.

The show is currently in its 22nd season and the big scoop on this edition is about the youngest contestant, Bekah Martinez, who revealed her age to bachelor Arie as only 22 years old, which came as a suprise to most. The age difference should not matter, because a majority of the ladies are only a year or so older. Age should not matter. If he loves the girl, he should love her for who she is; age is just a number.

During the course of each episode, the bachelor chooses a lucky lady to take on a date or group date. These dates always end up being at a 5-star paradise location, like Paris, The City of Love, or a romantic private island. You don’t need to wow someone by bringing her across the country. This show has unrealistic expectations for dates that in reality, every girl desires to go on.

A majority of what occurs on this show does not normally happen to people. For example, most couples don’t go to “Moulin Rouge” to perform on- stage with professionals or go hiking in Lake Tahoe.
Sometimes “being in love” on TV can change how people act. A few contestants are “in it to win it.” They want to go to the finale to the part where they meet the bachelor’s family and possibly have him propose. To get to this, the eligible ladies will do whatever it takes to cause commotion to get the bachelor’s attention.

Whether it is talking badly about one another or being over dramatic, women on this show will push their limits just to be with this guy. Although this show is for a bachelor to find his future wife, could all of this potentially be real love or is it all for the ratings?

• “The Bachelor”… reality or reality television?

Top Stories

Highlander hockey starts slow

Top Stories

Students honor fallen veterans

Top Stories

Hanukkah brings traditional fun

Top Stories

Don’t WRECK the Holidays.

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

The student news site of West Milford Township High School