The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Above: A heavenly beverage awaits. Photo Courtesy: www.colorado.ourcommunitynow.com

Madison Augustyn, Bucky's Backyard Editor

When fall coffee flavors arrive, the two most beloved coffee places go head-to- head. That’s right, Starbucks versus Dunkin’ Donuts are in an all-out brawl. But I’m here to give you the truth–Starbucks is leaps and bounds ahead of Dunkin’. Students prefer Dunkin’ because of its close proximity to our high school, but imagine if we had a Starbucks right next to that Dunkin. Would you still go to Dunkin’ or would you switch to Starbucks, and why?  Let us begin by comparing the prices. If you ordered a small, plain iced coffee and compared how much you paid, you’ll notice that Dunkin is cheaper by $0.34. If those $0.34 are a deal breaker, then Dunkin’ is the place for you; if not, let’s compare more. Starbucks tends to be more expensive, but realistically, the amount you pay for Starbucks is made up for in the size of your drink. A Dunkin’ Donuts’ small hot coffee is 10 ounces, whereas  a Starbucks’ tall is 12 ounces. You may be paying more for your drink, but you are getting an extra two ounces. When fall coffee flavors arrive, the two most beloved coffee places go head-to- head. That’s right, Starbucks versus Dunkin’ Donuts are in an all-out brawl. But I’m here to give you the truth–Starbucks is leaps and bounds ahead of Dunkin’. Students prefer Dunkin’ because of its close proximity to our high school, but imagine if we had a Starbucks right next to that Dunkin. Would you still go to Dunkin’ or would you switch to Starbucks, and why?  Let us begin by comparing the prices. If you ordered a small, plain iced coffee and compared how much you paid, you’ll notice that Dunkin is cheaper by $0.34. If those $0.34 are a deal breaker, then Dunkin’ is the place for you; if not, let’s compare more. Starbucks tends to be more expensive, but realistically, the amount you pay for Starbucks is made up for in the size of your drink. A Dunkin’ Donuts’ small hot coffee is 10 ounces, whereas  a Starbucks’ tall is 12 ounces. You may be paying more for your drink, but you are getting an extra two ounces.     

Moving on to the food portion of the menu, if you wanted a normal sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich–where would you go? If you were worried about the money, then it would be recommended to go to Starbucks; because, believe it or not, Starbucks is cheaper by a whopping $0.18! One must consider as well the quality of the food. All that needs to be said is that just in a Dunkin’ egg sandwich alone, there are 12 different ingredients. The ingredients are as follows: egg whites, water, egg yolks, modified corn starch, natural sautéed flavor, salt, artificial butter flavor, xanthan gum, citric acid, coarse ground black pepper. Starbucks, on the other hand, has six ingredients that can all be easily pronounced: egg whites, egg yolks, milk, modified food starch, salt, citric acid.  I prefer  the ingredients in my food to be food.      

Something convenient at Starbucks is that you get to make the drink your own way with milk, cream, half and half, sugar, sweeteners, or sugar in the raw. If you want a hot chocolate, you can add your own ingredients including cinnamon, chocolate powder, vanilla powder, or nutmeg. 

Finally, if food and drinks are not your thing, you can compare the very different atmospheres of Dunkin’ and Starbucks. If you prefer to sit on a couch and work on a paper, or just chill while you drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte, then Starbucks is the place for you. On the other hand, if you just want your food or drink to go, and you aren’t a fan of a cozier, sit-down atmosphere, then Dunkin’ is the place to be. 

There is no competition; Starbucks wins this fight hands down.

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Bucky's Backyard

Marching Band wins States!

• Academic Life

Highlander Helpers raise funds for relief

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Bucky's Backyard

Spooktacular is scarily successful!

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Bucky's Backyard

Highlander pride at Homecoming

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

Starbucks slam dunks Dunkin’