The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Above%3A+A+tasty+blueberry+crisp+pie+from+Shannon%E2%80%99s+Eyes+on+the+Pies+just+waiting+to+be+devoured.+Photo+Courtesy%3A+Sean+Fagan+
Above: A tasty blueberry crisp pie from Shannon’s Eyes on the Pies just waiting to be devoured. Photo Courtesy: Sean Fagan

Sean Fagan, Opinion Editor

West Milford is pleased to welcome into town Shannon’s Eyes on the Pies, a must-visit pastry shop, café, and eatery. This cozy little pink shop off of Union Valley Road is making headlines with their sweet treats and savory delights. Located at 1939 Union Valley Road, across the street from DeMarco’s, this pie shop is luring people in droves.

The menu offers plentiful options to satisfy every craving ranging from soups, chili, footlong subs, sweet and savory pies, to stuffed croissants. Items such as pies come in personal and large sizes, just in case you don’t want to eat a whole pie by yourself.

The rosy storefront is warm and cheery, and rest assured, the inside is just as inviting. Upon entering, to your right you’ll see a cardboard cut-out of Austin Powers and a merchandise shelf.   To your left is a fridge with several beverage selections, but in front of you is the real focus. You will see a large display case filled with personal and large pies, with either sweet or savory fillings.  Savory fillings include mincemeat, chicken or beef pot pie along with  a pizza dough type pastry. On the sweet side, there are many classic pies such as apple and blueberry with a tasty crumb topping, cherry, key lime, lemon meringue and pecan.

Our very own newspaper staff even got to try the apple crumb pie and the response was overwhelming! Most of the staff had not visited Shannon’s Eyes on the Pies yet, so there were fresh and unbiased opinions.

Almost all of us agreed that the crust was perfectly flaky. The filling was delicious, though some said it was a tad too viscous, and the crumb topping was absolutely amazing. There was a perfect mix of cinnamon, sugar, and other spices in the crumb topping, which was thick and piled high on top of the apple filling mixture.

The bakers clearly take care in preparing their pies, with carefully fluted edges on the crust .  The appearance and presentation of the pie was quite appealing. The price for a large pie is twenty dollars, which we agreed was a little high, but well worth the cost.

Behind the counter is an attentive, friendly, and cheery staff who are there to recommend the best options to you. Upon walking up to the counter you’ll be met by a bright smile and a delightfully cheery voice which belongs to Shannon herself. Just from her voice alone, you will know she is passionate about what she does and it truly shows in her both beautiful and delicious work.

Though she’ll never reveal the secret to what makes the pies so good, it is safe to assume that it is the love she puts into her little slices of heaven.

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Bucky's Backyard

Marching Band wins States!

• Academic Life

Highlander Helpers raise funds for relief

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Bucky's Backyard

Spooktacular is scarily successful!

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Bucky's Backyard

Highlander pride at Homecoming

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

Shanon’s offers a slice of heaven