The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Place your bets on fantasy football

Graphic Courtesy: www.ESPNMediaZone.com

Jimmy Patton, Sports Editor

Year after year, Fantasy Football becomes more popular across the country. Each year, millions of teams are drafted on ESPN, Yahoo, and other gaming sites. This year is no different. Fantasy Football is beloved for many reasons; more people watch games that they wouldn’t usually bother to look at because of this league.  For example, last year, if the Chargers and the Browns played each other, it is likely that only fans of those teams would have watched the game. However, if someone is in the Fantasy League and has Melvin Gordon, Keenan Allen, or another talented player on a poor team’s roster, he would have incentive to watch the game. Year after year, Fantasy Football becomes more popular across the country. Each year, millions of teams are drafted on ESPN, Yahoo, and other gaming sites. This year is no different. Fantasy Football is beloved for many reasons; more people watch games that they wouldn’t usually bother to look at because of this league.  For example, last year, if the Chargers and the Browns played each other, it is likely that only fans of those teams would have watched the game. However, if someone is in the Fantasy League and has Melvin Gordon, Keenan Allen, or another talented player on a poor team’s roster, he would have incentive to watch the game.

Fantasy Football also provides users with more knowledge than when they began the experience. Before participating in Fantasy Football for the first time, many know little to nothing about football or each team’s star players. The experience of drafting players, the feeling of owning a team, following injury statuses, and more, is what makes Fantasy Football so enjoyable to the millions of people who play it.

This year of Fantasy Football has been particularly interesting. Every year, players who were previously at the top go on to have poor years, new superstars emerge, key players go down due to injury, etcetera. In the end, what is left is an exciting football season; many fans are thrilled, and others are saddened just thinking about next year.

Just six weeks into this season, there are many prime examples of upsets. Kansas City Chiefs star running back, NFL stud Kareem Hunt, has set the world of sports on fire. Hunt is showing that he is one of the best running backs in all of football, and potentially will be in years to come, even though most people just two or three months ago had never heard of him. Several key injuries have occurred already this season. David Johnson, arguably the best player in the NFL, went down with a broken wrist; Odell Beckham, Jr. endured a season-ending broken ankle; and Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone, just to name a few.

At the end of the day, Fantasy Football provides fans with excitement and enjoyment in watching games throughout the season, and is growing in popularity every year.  Given the recent growth in number of leagues and the expansion of active participants, this is unlikely to change. Where will the Fantasy Football League go from here?

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Bucky's Backyard

Marching Band wins States!

• Academic Life

Highlander Helpers raise funds for relief

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Bucky's Backyard

Spooktacular is scarily successful!

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Bucky's Backyard

Highlander pride at Homecoming

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Place your bets on fantasy football

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

Place your bets on fantasy football