The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Marching Band wins States!

Above: Leaders of the Highlander Band accept the State Championship award, as well as several category awards.. Photo Courtesy: Peter Suckiel via Facebook

Dominique Basil, Editor-in-Chief

The band returned amid  sirens and lights blaring from its police and firetruck escort as the buses wended their way from Echo Lake, to Macopin, and finally were paraded past the high school.  The members were welcomed back with cheers from the Spooktacular attendees, students,  faculty and staff. The band returned amid  sirens and lights blaring from its police and firetruck escort as the buses wended their way from Echo Lake, to Macopin, and finally were paraded past the high school.  The members were welcomed back with cheers from the Spooktacular attendees, students,  faculty and staff.

With its show titled “Under My Umbrella,”  the Highlander Marching Band and stormed its way to the top, claiming not  only the First Place V A State Championship honor, but also Best Overall Music, Best Overall Visual, Best Overall Effect, and Best Overall Percussion with an overall score of over 92 out of 100. The marching band now proudly displays this State Champion banner alongside the many other  first place trophies it was awarded along the way this season for their outstanding performances.

Prior to the state championships, the band also  placed at all of the previous competitions such as  those in Randolph, Vernon,  and Mount Olive.  Most notably, the band was also declared the V A Yamaha Cup Champions.  The band is currently preparing for the national competition, taking place November 4, and is rehearsing for its annual Military Tattoo on November 11, an event that honors our veterans with musical performances from many different groups.

Tickets for the Tattoo are on sale now on the official Highlander Band website (www.wmhighlanderband.com) if you would like to claim a seat ahead of time.  Congratulations to the Highlander Marching Band for all it  has accomplished this season.  The passion, time, and tremendous effort members put into their craft is evident in their performances and the results.   Stay tuned for a National Championship update in out next edition!

Above: Highlander Band proudly displays their awards in the band room. Photo Courtesy: Dominique Basil

• Academic Life

Highlander Helpers raise funds for relief

• Marching Band wins States!

Bucky's Backyard

Spooktacular is scarily successful!

• Marching Band wins States!

Bucky's Backyard

Highlander pride at Homecoming

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Marching Band wins States!

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Marching Band wins States!

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• Marching Band wins States!

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Marching Band wins States!

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

• Top Stories

High school students severely lacking sleep

Marching Band wins States!