The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

“Captain America: Civil War” captivates audiences

Christian Hanson, Out and About Editor

“Captain America Civil War” was the newest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date, and has received rather positive reviews and was a hit at the box office. While some critics claim there is too much going on in the film or see the film as merely a brand extension, some have said it is the beginning of a new generation of superhero films. Like the Marvel movies before it, it is, as of right now, the highest grossing film of the year.
It is jam packed with exciting action sequences and superheroes. In total, the film features twelve heroes and manages to balance each of the different storylines the individual heroes have. Essentially it is a retitled “Avengers” movie.
What is exciting about it is that it introduces Spiderman and Black Panther to the MCU, two newcomers who have thus far been in their own comic worlds. Spiderman’s appearance was made possible by a deal between Sony, who has, since last year, owned the rights to Spiderman films, and Marvel studios, finally to allow him to appear alongside Iron Man, Captain America, and everyone else. Many have said that Spiderman was handled excellently as a character, and is the closest film adaptation of the comic book Spiderman to date. If you were excited about Black Panther’s appearance, enjoy it now because sadly you won’t see the standalone Black Panther film until 2018. We are, however, left with a closing scene that is sure to excite fans of the rich, crime fighting prince.
The movie is based off the storyline in the comics that shares the same name, “Civil War.” Though the context is slightly altered, the merit is the same. Captain America and Iron Man are leading opposing sides on a governmental issue concerning them, and they have to duke it out. You’ll find the scenes involving all the characters gripping and tearing, as you find yourself feeling bad for the characters who have to fight each other. As I viewed the film, my main concern was that these were all friends fighting who didn’t really want to, and the audience can see this in the characters’ dialogue between one another mid-battle. In the comic books, it is rather different. The characters in the comics are all out for blood, and with the inclusion of gods like Thor and other overpowered characters, the death toll is through the roof during the story. Thankfully in the film, neither side had Thor or Hulk to imbalance the strength of the different sides.
The plot was a little scattered however, because the main villain, other than his internal conflict, had no real relevance to the plot line. The film seemed to be clashing between an Avengers movie and a Captain America movie. This is seen in the random pull backs to the Captain America and Winter Soldier/Bucky Barnes storyline having to come to a conclusion. This isn’t to say the storyline is handled badly, it is just not as well as blended as it could have been.
Despite this, the film doesn’t stop entertaining, provoking emotion, or driving the overall story forth.
As a whole, the film is a fun and enjoyable experience. While the film is long and sometimes feels drawn out, you will soon realize you’re watching a powerhouse of a Marvel film, and get right back into it. It appeals to comic book fans, MCU only fans, and the average movie goer. Overall you will surely enjoy this if you are a Marvel junky or love blockbuster action films. It has everything you need–good humor, well-directed stunts and action choreography, and a compelling story. I give it an 8 out of 10.

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• “Captain America: Civil War” captivates audiences

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

• Top Stories

High school students severely lacking sleep

Bucky's Backyard

How we have learned to defend women: Reenvisioning feminism

Academic Life

Highlanders honor the fallen on War and Remembrance Day

News

First ever Battle of the Bands rocks the night away