The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

“La La Land” lifts spirits

Photo courtesy: https://twitter.com/lalaland

Kalleen Rose Ozanic, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Compared to the archetypal summer blockbuster, the next best season to go to the movie theater is in the winter.  You’ll find surprising hits during the cold season that are unexpected. Last year, “Deadpool” brought mobs of fans to theaters and became the highest-grossing rated-R film in history. In 1988 “Die Hard” took audiences by storm. So this year, it doesn’t come as a shock that a new film has audiences in love. “La La Land”, a musical starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as Sebastian and Mia, was a thoroughly enjoyable film. Sebastian is a struggling pianist who wishes to revive jazz, and Mia is an aspiring actress who never seems to catch a break. When the two cross paths, sparks fly. The film itself chronicles their love story, as well as the sacrifices one must make in order to follow his/her dreams.

Gosling and Stone perform excellently in the musical. Both voice talents perform on-camera, which adds immeasurable value to the film. Some say that their lack of formal voice training was a poor casting choice, but a viewer must see beyond the actors’ musical talent. “La La Land” demonstrates the importance of persevering and pursuing dreams regardless of what people think of you or say about you. On that note, the numerous duets and solos performed by the actors were lovely. There were also multiple ensemble pieces that were lively and fun. Additionally, I found the film’s score to be wonderful. It was whimsical and happy at times, and also serious enough to shed light on the characters’ hardships.

While watching the film, audiences were struck by the emotions of the characters and felt for them, which made the film more meaningful. I find that the montages in the middle of “La La Land” were emotional and significant to the development of the characters’ relationship.  The film, on the whole was quite interesting. Though minimal backstory was provided for the characters, it seems that this is an insignificant aspect. The characters did not  need exposition, as audiences were supposed to experience romance in the moment. “La La Land” acutely intrigued moviegoers.

Needless to say, this writer isn’t the only source of praise for the breakout film; it has received multiple Golden Globes and a Screen Actors’ Guild Award for Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role. “La La Land” is a truly meaningful movie. It goes without saying that many loved the movie. It was a total success! Go see “La La Land” while it’s still in theaters!

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

• Top Stories

High school students severely lacking sleep

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Bucky's Backyard

How we have learned to defend women: Reenvisioning feminism

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Arts & Entertainment

“Captain America: Civil War” captivates audiences

• “La La Land” lifts spirits

Academic Life

Highlanders honor the fallen on War and Remembrance Day

“La La Land” lifts spirits