The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Emerson Figueroa, News Editor

This year the West Milford Wrestling Team has 17 returning wrestlers and 13 new members looking to become a part of the family to represent West Milford High School on the wrestling mats. There is also potential to add to the number of wrestlers available for the team, racking that number up to roughly 30 team members.
The two captains this year who will be leading and motivating the team are Vinny Boratto and Drew Perucki. When asked what it meant for them to have the honor to be captains this year Perucki responded, “I was always told that I had leadership qualities, so now is my chance to really show people and prove that.” Boratto replied by saying that he’s been wrestling since he was five years old so it is really an honor now to lead a team of his own. He recalls a special feeling when his coaches from his younger wrestling years come out and see him as the captain.
The coaches this year will be the same as last year. The Head Coach position will be filled by Coach Pevny and assistant coaches will be Coach Stoll, Coach Spencer, and Coach Blakely, who was the previous head coach before Pevny fully took over last year. Head Coach Pevny has stated the team’s goals this season, “We want to add another championship to the banner in the gym, win Conference and County Championship and get back to Sectionals.” Last year the wrestling team ended the season with a record of 10-15. Coach Pevny commented, “We are looking to improve our record for this season as well.”
The team captains also had their own vision of how this team is going to perform hrough the season. Perucki wishes to see the team “going far in the playoffs and seeing a lot of people move past districts.” Boratto proclaimed he would like to see, “Success for the team as a whole and individually.” The Captains were also questioned about what they believe is the team’s strongest quality and what they think needs most improvement. Boratto said the team is “motivated,” but their level of “commitment” needs the most improvement. Perucki claimed “work ethic” as the strongest quality and “number of wrestlers” as needing the most improvement.
The wrestling team had their first practice scrimmage on Monday December 5 and another on December 7. They look to use scrimmages as an opportunity to learn their strengths and weaknesses as they prepare for their first tournament on Saturday, December 17 and their first dual on Thursday, December 22. This meet kicks off what all of West Milford High School hopes to be a great, season.

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Bucky's Backyard

Failing New Year’s resolutions

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

• Top Stories

High school students severely lacking sleep

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Bucky's Backyard

How we have learned to defend women: Reenvisioning feminism

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Arts & Entertainment

“Captain America: Civil War” captivates audiences

• Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!

Academic Life

Highlanders honor the fallen on War and Remembrance Day

Wrestling Team ready to hit the mats!