The student news site of West Milford Township High School

The Highland Echo

Failing New Year’s resolutions

Photo courtesy: http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/happy-new-year-2017-quotes-images-wishes-new-year-greetings-4452825/

Shana Bigley, Out and About Editor

Many people believe that because it is the start of the new year, they will be able to change their old ways in efforts to finally better themselves and acquire long term goals. But, do people really think that on January 1 they will become a more improved version of themselves than the day before, on December 31? Most people do in fact have themselves convinced of this, but results show that most people never follow through with their goals and remain unmotivated.

A wide variety of people commonly set goals for themselves such as to exercise more, to lose weight, and to eat healthier. A lot of times these goals require a complete lifestyle change which they are unaware of. If you have been eating poorly it is not impossible to change your habits but it is a hard transition. This “transition” is a commonly overlooked factor when trying to obtain new year’s resolutions. Some may expect to completely change their diet within one day — that day being the infamous January 1 full of high expectations.

What people lack to realize is that these changes require a portion of time to become routinely. For one thing, you must clean your pantry of any junk food prior to January 1, or else you are bound to fall back into your normal habits. Goals such as these, and any goals in general, require an individual to undertake a process in order to achieve. Many people, especially of this generation, want immediate results and don’t want to work for things. Because of this, their New Years Eve goals suffer and will reappear on their list the following year. Going along with this, one cannot lose weight overnight for that is incredibly unhealthy. People noticeably lose their motivation when they don’t see results quick enough. This leads them to give up and resort to their old habits.

Overall, people are fully capable of obtaining their desires, but they need to maintain their motivation during hard times. It may take awhile to achieve, but it will be worth it when you do.

• Top Stories

WMHS hosts foreign exchange students

• Top Stories

Reilly brightens children’s treatment room

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Sports

Patriots reach the promised land again

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Bucky's Backyard

Show love all year, not just on Valentine’s Day

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Arts & Entertainment

“Manchester by the Sea” brings audiences to tears

• Top Stories

High school students severely lacking sleep

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Bucky's Backyard

How we have learned to defend women: Reenvisioning feminism

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Arts & Entertainment

“Captain America: Civil War” captivates audiences

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

Academic Life

Highlanders honor the fallen on War and Remembrance Day

• Failing New Year’s resolutions

News

First ever Battle of the Bands rocks the night away

Failing New Year’s resolutions